Business set to return to former Kennedy eatery
The Plattsburg City Council was able to achieve a quorum during their Thursday, June 11, meeting with Councilman Ken Tongue dialing in via FaceTime to participate in the meeting. This enabled the council to certify the results of the June 2, 2020, Municipal Election.
The oath of office was given by City Clerk Lisa Read. Scott Gordee was the successful write-in candidate for Ward III, with the untimely death of Councilman Cam Collins earlier this year. Gordee received 28 votes, with the nearest challenger, former City Councilman Doug Goode, receiving 12 votes. Others receiving votes were Richard Mann -1; Ron Welch -1; Connie Collins – 1; Ken Tongue 1; KC Lewis – 3; Mark Coulter -2 and Sam Goode – 1.
A return of James Kennedy to his bar and restaurant space at 108-110 Main Street was on the agenda. Mr. Kennedy has already acquired a State Liquor License. The council’s approval was required, as well. The council voted 4-0 in approval (Ken Tongue had ended his video attendance and councilman Clyde May continues to be absent due to health issues). The official title of the new business is J&S Kennedy Enterprises, LLC, DBA Kennedy’s Lounge. James said the new business will open in what was formerly his bar area, seating of 65 people. He said they are planning to open in a couple of weeks.
Mayor Schauer offered two appointments to the city planning commission for council approval – Douglas Goode and Alan Burton. Both were approved by unanimous consent.
The following committee appointees were approved: Street and Alley - John Mirosh (Chair) Sue Malone, Ken Tongue; Utility – Clyde May (Chair) Scott Gordee, Sue Malone; Police – Tracy Pincus (Chair) Scott Gordee, John Mirosh; Personnel – Sue Malone (Chair) Ken Tongue, Tracy Pincus; Finance – Ken Tongue (Chair) Tracy Pincus, Clyde May.
The vote for president pro temp saw councilman Ken Tongue receive three votes and councilwoman Tracy Pincus receive two (Pincus nominated Tongue after she was nominated).
During the discussion portion of the meeting, several topics were brought forth, including:
- Redgate Disposal’s offer to pick up trash and recycling with smaller trucks on the same day. This could result in savings if approved. They have previously offered using larger trucks to cut down on costs, but the city feels that would put too much weight on the roads.
- The Fourth of July Fireworks at Perkins Park continues to be an iffy situation with the Army Corps of Engineers at Smithville Lake. Perkins Park is part of the Corps land since Smithville Lake was formed. City Administrator Greg Harris said the Corps wanted approval from an authority. Given his title, Mr. Harris offered that he was the authority and the fireworks should go on with guidelines. Social distancing at the 50-plus-acre park should not be a problem. “We are going to do it, but it’s going to take some restructuring,” he said. “The Hartzells are going to start selling their fireworks as before.” Mayor Schauer echoed his sentiments about working out a solution.
- Alan Burton asked about supporting the Fall Festival and potential fundraisers. As a result of COVID-19, the Festival Committee lost out on the very successful Wine Walk. Councilwoman Sue Malone said the committee is planning on holding the Fall Festival. Mayor Schauer said it is a 50-year-plus tradition and the city would be working with all concerned.
- Councilwoman Sue Malone voiced her concern about residential pools and the city’s requirements on fencing. Mayor Schauer said that the ordinance calls for fencing on pools that are four-feet or higher.
- Councilwoman Tracy Pincus asked about the ordinances on political yard signs. Administrator Harris said that they are allowed eight weeks before the election, and by the time they cite the offenders, the time frame would be in accordance with the code.
- Information is being sought about hosting an event to honor the late Cam Collins. A potential date in late July may be proposed.
- The council will hold a special budget meeting, potentially on June 25.
Looking for a specific blog post?