The Bicentennial Committee and The Plattsburg Artists Coalition Public Arts Committee in Plattsburg have been very busy planning for the 2021 Missouri Bicentennial events.
The Mural for the Bicentennial at the corner of Main St. and Maple St., Plattsburg, has been completed. It is beautiful! Thanks to the help of many people in the community this project was a huge success.
The War Memorial at the corner of Main St. and Locust St. has been updated. Other public art including new street light banners, the old town mural on the courthouse windows and the art piece on the corner of Main St. and Locust St, honoring our Clinton Co. veterans have all been hung. Thank you to everyone who contributed to the fundraising efforts to get all these things accomplished. We are so lucky to have such a giving community to help support these and many other ideas.
The committees need your help again. More money is needed to make all the planned projects a reality. We have added seven events so far that have been submitted to be on the bicentennial calendar on The Missouri Bicentennial website. The committees have plans for several more that do not have dates yet. Please read The Leader for updated events scheduled for the bicentennial of Missouri and celebrate the 200th Birthday of our state.
Event Calendar - so far
• Bicentennial Mural Dedication - April 10, 2021, 11 a.m., corner of N. Main St. and W. Maple St. Dedication by DAR.
• Main St. Stroll, Wine Walk - May 22, 2021.
• 200 Quilts For 200 Years, featuring the State of Missouri Bicentennial Quilt - July 19-21, 2021, Courtyard, 117 W. Maple St.
• Community Old Fashioned Picnic - Aug. 8, 2021, 11:30-4 p.m., Riley-Carmack Clinton Co. Museum, 304 S. Birch Ave. - Burial of the Bicentennial Time capsule 2 p.m.
• Annual Fall Festival - October 7-10, 2021, Downtown Plattsburg
• Plattsburg Artists Coalitions Annual Art Show, November 6 & 7, 2021, Courtyard, 117 W. Maple St.
• Plattsburg Community Christmas - December 3-4, 2021, Downtown Plattsburg
Donations are needed for the Bicentennial Mural, the Clinton County Portrait Project, the time capsule and many other projects. The bicentennial committees are also working with PHS on a public art piece, “Steers of Steel.” This piece will represent the once claimed “Beef Capital of Missouri.” To contribute to these exciting projects, please send a check to Plattsburg Artists Coalition or PAC, 202 N. 2nd St., Plattsburg, Mo. 64477.
Looking for a specific blog post?